Update on VISAWUS 2020: Victorian Transitions, planned for October 15-17, 2020 in Reno, NV.
At this point, we are hopeful that we can still hold the conference as planned, and we are continuing to make preparations for it.
Reminder: The deadline for the Call for Papers is April 20, 2020. The call can be found here: http://www.visawus.org/?page_id=12. Proposals for individual papers and for panels may be sent to email@example.com. Our keynote speaker will be Jolene Zigarovich, University of Northern Iowa. And as always graduate students are eligible for the William H. Scheuerle Graduate Student Paper Award ($600).
Depending on the state of the pandemic in the fall, we may have to cancel the convention at a future date to safeguard the health of our members and to do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19. If we decide to cancel or reschedule the convention, we will refund registration fees in full. Any papers accepted for the 2020 conference will be accepted for 2021, if we must hold the conference at the later date.
Planning ahead: If you should decide not to attend the convention in October, for whatever reason, we remind you that we always allow members to have a refund of convention registration fees minus a $25 service fee if they send in a written request prior to September 1, 2020. We do not reimburse membership fees since members have other online membership privileges all year, including electronic access to Victorian Review.
Again, you may find the CFP for Victorian Transitions here: http://www.visawus.org/?page_id=12.
We hope that everyone remains healthy and safe.
The VISAWUS 2020 Committee
The 2014 VISAWUS will take place at California Sate University, Fullerton in Fullerton, CA, which is in the Los Angeles area. Conference Dates are October 16-18, 2014.
The conference hotel is the Marriott at CSUF. Our conference rate is $119/night and it’s available Oct. 15, 16, 17, and 18. Please use the following link to book the group rate:
Book your group rate: Victorian Interdisciplinary Studies Association
. The last day to book and receive the group rate is 9/25/14.
Options for flying to Fullerton, CA:
John Wayne Airport
- Small, clean, very easy to get into and out of, and only 30 minutes from campus (20 minutes, if there’s no traffic).
- Rental car and shuttle information for John Wayne Airport.
- Big, hectic, etc., but about an hour away from campus.
- Direct flights from most areas.
- Rental Car and shuttle information for LAX
Options for taking the Train to Fullerton, CA
Public transportation options in and around Fulletron, CA.
- Metro is the Los Angeles area’s public transportation provider. Metro’s site has a trip planner that will help you decide if public transportation is a viable option for you.
- Map of the California State University, Fullerton campus.
- October is typically quite warm in Southern California, so the weather should be good for exploring local attractions. California Sate University, Fullerton is only about 20-25 minutes from the beach; Huntington Beach and Newport Beach are the closest, but if you’re willing to drive a bit further (45 minutes), Crystal Cove and Salt Creek Beach are beautiful. Disneyland is about 10 minutes from campus and, with light traffic, downtown LA is about 35-40 minutes from campus.
- The Fullerton Arboretum is on campus. The Arboretum is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM daily.
- Map (PDF) of attractions and dining in the Los Angeles area.
- 100 Free Things to Do in Los Angeles.